The Gardens

Salvia / Sage

Salvia 
nemorosa 'May Night'

5/25/12




I planted 'May Night' (Also called salvia x sylvestris) in 2008 in the Birch garden, and it's been a stunner, filling out and providing deep purple spiky blooms for weeks.

It likes full sun.  Deadhead for rebloom, and it may sporadically rebloom into fall.  If they get floppy, cut back to the basal foliage.  They are seeding themselves all over the garden.

'May Night' sage has beautiful structure, with large, gorgeous purple spikes and mounds of deep green leaves.  An anchor in the Birch Garden so far.

Over the years I have grown Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red, but it isn't hardy and so I treat it as an annual -- I have to buy it new each year. I love how red and full it is.

10/8/11 The stand of 'Lady in Red' was gorgeous late in the season

9/2/12  I love this vibrant 'Lady in Red' but it's an annual here


6/2/13

I got seeds for 'Hummingbird' in 2013 and it was a nice red, but a lower, smaller plant than 'Lady in Red'. Some of the plants did well and bloomed beautifully, others in different locations were tiny and never did much. 'Hummingbird' is nice, but I think I like the bigger 'Lady in Red' better.
8/16/13

A culinary sage in the bowl on the deck amazingly lasted well into winter, never wilting despite cold hard freezes. It looked fresh and perky right into January when it finally got buried in snow!
11/2/13

As always, 'May Night' adds rich purple spikes that go well with everything else in the Birch Garden. It's spreading around the garden a bit.
5/31/14

5/30/15

I must remember to cut them back hard after they are done flowering -- for neatness and for rebloom. In 2015 I just left the dried spikes standing and that was not good.