The Gardens

Paeonia / Peony

May 28, 2011
Paeonia hybrid
'Blaze'
intersectional 'Bartzella'


'Blaze' is a single (not ruffly) bloom, intense bright red color.  Short, doesn’t need staking.  Early blooming.

This peony has a short bloom season, but it's lovely.  The red is so intense that my camera won't capture it.

It looks good with the intense purple 'May Night' salvia.

The foliage is nice after the blooms are gone, but it is really hidden in the Birch Garden by other plants. 

It does get mildew, crammed in with the other plants.

May 28, 2011

May 28, 2011

5/20/12

So brief, about five days of bloom, maybe a week. Then the foliage gets mildewed. It's hidden behind other plants, I only see the red flowers for such a short time in May, but I do love how they go with the 'May Night' salvias. But you have to get out there just when they bloom or you miss it!

6/1/14

In 2015 I planted an intersectional peony 'Bartzella', which I got at Cricket Hill peony farm. It is an elegant yellow flowered peony. Intersectionals are a cross between herbaceous and tree peonies.

I planted it out in the middle of the lawn in a circle of bricks.
10/10/15 

'Bartzella' in mid June