The Gardens

Rosmarinus officinalis / Rosemary

Planted in spring 2009. Ex-Plant as of spring 2013.

I got a little sprig of 'Madeline Hill' from an herb catalog.
May 24, 2010

Madeline Hill is hardy down to 0 degrees. Originally I grew it in a bowl under the birch tree where my bench is, and I loved to reach out and stroke the leaves for its scent.  I kept it on the porch over winter, and I was able to snip sprigs for cooking.

In Spring 2011 I moved it to the deck, but as it quickly outgrew the shallow bowl, I planted in out in the yard.  This rosemary wants to be a big shrub.
June 26, 2011

I took it out of the pot and put it in the ground in fall 2011.  Here it is in winter, January 20, 2012

August 6, 2012

It looked great against the snow in winter, 2013. We only got a day or two all winter that flirted with overnight temperatures in the single digits.
1/17/13

But it did not come back in spring. I took it out. This is an ex-plant, and I miss its spiky green denseness in the garden.
4/18/13

Propagation:
Softwood cuttings.