The Gardens

Rhus typhina / Staghorn Sumac

Staghorn sumac grows as a weed around here, and it was one of the first to move in where the earth had been disturbed on the back hill. At first I disliked it -- it looks so primitive with its compound frond-like leaves.

But I have grown to admire it as a pretty tree and an unusual look in the woods. It does spread about, and will form large stands unless I take out seedlings. I am starting to leave some of the new saplings along the edge of the meadow -- as they lean out at the edge of the lawn they are kind of nice.

They bloom in June. Later these cones of flowers turn dark red and hang on in winter.
6/19/14

They have beautiful fall color and are the first to turn red, showing off among the trees that are still green in September.
9/24/14

The trunks are slender and the trees lean gracefully. The leaves really are incredible. Check out the Oriental bittersweet vine growing on the trunks -- it's such a jungle on the back hill.




I don't have Rhus typhina in my garden, just the wild ones in the meadow and on the back hill. There are cultivars that are garden worthy, but I don't grow those.

At Wave Hill Garden in the Bronx they had an artfully pruned Staghorn sumac in the garden, and it really showed off the interesting look of the trunks as they age.