The Gardens

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana / European Cypress

Now and Ex-Plant. As of 2014 it got severely winter burned, and I never really did figure out what to do with it or where to plant it.

This came as a tiny little potted plant in a mixed arrangement from Lowe's years ago, maybe 2008. I'm not sure when I got this, or what it is. There was no tag.

I thought this was a kind of Rocky Mountain juniper, a blue variety like 'Wichita Blue', but the more I look at it, the more I think it is a false cypress, a European cypress called 'Ellwoodii', which is a common blue type sold in pots and Christmas arrangements.

For several years it stayed in the container with other plants, and did not grow.  Then I took it out in 2012 and planted it by itself in a larger pot that I placed along the front walk. It started to bulk up a little.
7/8/12

In 2013 I moved it to the back of the Drive By Garden.

Right now it looks tiny and silly although it has grown quite a bit from its start in the crowded pot.
7/12/13

I moved it a couple times in this area, trying to find just the right location with the nearby ninebark and other plants that I was moving around. This poor little thing, confined to a pot for years and now moved several times in a season, has been abused.

I thought originally it was a juniper and let the soil get dry, but if it is the European cypress, it wants a lot of moisture. It can get to 20 feet, but 'Elwoodii' is a dwarf that will get to about 10 feet I think. It is strongly columnar shaped, but it is very slow growing. I like the idea of the gray-blue dense tall shape next to the wildly arching rusty brown ninebark, but I'm not sure this is what I want at the back of the Drive By garden. . . .

Well, I took it out in 2014. It got pretty sever winter burn during the harsh winter and looked pretty bad. It's gone now. Ex-Plant.