The Gardens

Vaccinium corymbosum / Blueberry


Planted three 'Northblue' in spring 2007 and added one more in 2008. 

Added 'Northcountry' in 2011, and then added more in 2014.

Before I say anything, I need to rave about the phenomenal crop that 2013 produced.

2013 was the  most incredible season ever for blueberries. I don't know why.

I have never seen so much fruit, completely untouched by birds or critters! Nothing touched any of the blueberries, and they produced and produced.

I never netted any of the bushes. I'd go out every morning in July and bring in a big bowlful. I ate so many, froze some, and had the most bountiful season. Wow. There has never been a season like that one.


Now, here is a little history:

'Northblue' are completely self fertile.  I got the first ones as 1 gal. plants from Forestfarm and I planted them too early in May ‘07 which was a cold spring. They struggled, got red leaves.  Still a little scraggly by season’s end in fall.  I put them on the garden on the north side, along the curve of the walk, in front of the amsonias.

In 2008 I added one more 'Northblue' that I found at Farmington Valley Nursery.

In 2011 I put in one 'Northcountry' blueberry in the Birch Garden.  It is also self fertile, and is a small, low form, about three feet high.  I planted it mostly for ornamental purposes, to fill the empty left side of this garden, but we'll see how the blueberries fruit!

In spring of 2012 I moved all of the 'Northblue' to the strip in front of the back garden, now called the blueberry garden, because they all wound up here.

8/6/2012

The smaller 'Northcountry' that had been in the Birch Garden was moved also.  First I put it in a pot on the patio. Fall color was spectacular.
9/25/2012

10/7/2012

5/12/13

10/25/14

In late 2014 I expanded this strip to the left. In that area I put several more of the low, tidy 'Northcountry' blueberries, not for production, but for a visual repetition of the taller ones nearby. I think I'll like the fall reds at mid level echoed by the same but a little lower on the other side.
October 2014

I got two tiny 'Northcountry' twigs from Forestfarm to add near the existing shrub, making a little group of three. A rabbit immediately ate one to the ground, so we'll see if it survives.

In 2015 the little 'Northcountry' sprigs came back and grew well -- still tiny though.

'Northblue' bloomed well in mid May and fruited well by June 30. I created a system of netting that used tall bamboo stakes with upturned pots on them to keep the netting from snagging on the poles. It worked.
2015

The berries were not particularly sweet or tasty though. Kind of tasteless in 2015.

In fall 2015 the color was again reliably bright red.
10/26/15