The Gardens

Ilex verticillata / Winterberry Holly

12/30/12
Planted four females and a male in spring 2007.
Planted one more male in summer 2009.

I think these are ‘Red Sprite” from Gledhill.

I planted one male (‘Jim Dandy’) to pollinate.  The male stays quite small.  I put all of them in the back garden.

Then later I added a male holly under the paperbark maple at the top of the driveway. The males do not have any red berries of course.

They are very late to leaf out in spring, ell into May.

Most of the summer these are background plants, fillers. They have small white flowers in spring, and then the foliage is a nice medium green, blending into the shrubs around them.

9/22/11

These are really nondescript shrubs most of the year. I've pruned them to keep arching branches off other plants.
9/29/13

They are very eye catching once the leaves are all down, and then after a snowfall. But by midwinter the berries are gone, eaten by birds and deer.
12/3/13

I rarely get pictures of the winterberry hollies in leaf -- they just don't look like much other than a green mid level plant all summer. Flowering is so muted I never notice it. But when the berries come out in fall, the camera comes out too.
11/23/14

As always, they are bare branched until the middle of May, very late to emerge, and then I don't even see their leafy green shapes all summer. Just before Thanksgiving when the leaves are down and the berries shine, I notice them.
11/21/15