The Gardens

Buxus / Boxwood

microphylla 'Winter Gem'
microphylla 'Green Mountain'
microphylla 'Tide Hill'

Boxwoods need to be watched for blight in Connecticut -- so far all mine have been okay. Winter burn can be a problem some years, and browned branches need to be pruned out. All boxwoods need shearing for shape, even if going for a "natural" look.

In 2011 I planted a rounded microphylla 'Winter Gem' along the east side of the house for some evergreen structure along that wall. I shear it to keep it tidy.
4/25/15 'Winter Gem'

In 2012 I planted a microphylla 'Green Mountain' at the other end of the east side of the house, next to the Rose of Sharon.  It should stay a nice pyramidal shape, but needs shearing to keep it shaped well.

May 8, 2013

In 2011 I put 'Tide Hill' in a line at an angle in the gravel garden. These are low spreading, and will get wider than they are tall. In 2013 I added one more small 'Tide Hill' boxwood planted in the gravel to make five in a line.
May 17, 2013 

These little buns also need some shearing in the summer to keep them tidy. Eventually they will blend together.

10/25/14  'Tide Hill' 

5/8/15  mini Minions marching

I don't know why, but I just love this little angled line of boxwood meatball shrubs.