The Gardens

Rosa Glauca / Redleaf Rose

Planted in Spring 2012 from Broken Arrow Nursery.  I moved to to the dry creek bed in 2013.

Here's an example from a garden tour we took in 2011 -- here's hoping mine will look as good:
6/18/11 on Wintonbury Garden Tour

It's very hard to photograph. At times the foliage is gray, in low light it is strongly blue, and in sunshine it is a rusty color. Very odd.

It flowered nicely in 2013, although the show is brief in early June, and each flower is very small.
6/1/13
6/2/13

It needs to be tucked in with other strong shapes and forms. In fall it gets very large orange hips.
10/1/13

9/14/13

It really is a gray plant. The small pink flowers bloom only very briefly.
6/10/14

6/10/14

Summer of 2014 was very dry and I had to water it a lot. The leaves yellowed, all fell off, branches died back and by fall I had cut down most of it.

I took out what remained of it in late fall. But the good news is that it had seeded itself around in 2013 before I moved it, and two little self seeded sprouts came up. Because of the blue foliage they were very easy to spot.

I had potted up those tiny seedlings and they grew really well. When I took out the struggling rosa glauca in fall 2014, I just planted one of the now leafy seedlings in the same spot. By 2016 it looked pretty good.
6/8/16

In 2016 I added a couple more seedlings to the end of the spruce berm to grow next to the sweetspires there.