The Gardens

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum / Doublefile Viburnum

Planted in fall 2007.
Added a rooted cutting in fall 2011.

I planted a good sized specimen, 'Shasta', from Gledhill at the far left of the back garden.

In 2011 I got a tiny one-branch rooted cutting of 'Mariesii' from Cyndy Cromwell of Gardening Asylum blog.  I put it in the back of the driveway garden.

'Shasta' is consistently spectacular and I keep taking photos of it over and over. It always looks great.

It has a beautiful shape, gorgeous flowers in May, red berries for decoration in summer, and deep rust colored foliage in fall.
May 28, 2013

July 10, 2013

October 17, 2013


10/25/2010  As this spreads and gets quite large, I will move the amsonia and other plants from below










5/21/11

Falling petals carpet the ground like snow, May 31, 2011

First season of red berries July 13, 2011

October 22, 2011  It stayed oddly half red all fall.

In 2012 it bloomed spectacularly for three weeks starting May 1st.
May 9, 2012

Even in winter this shrub is a graceful shape and interesting form.
December 10, 2013

'Shasta' really is a star in my garden -- for bloom, shape, fall color, presence anchoring that end of Meadow's Edge, all of it. I like the way it just calls from afar when it is clothed in white blooms, even echoing the white iris and white birch trees. It's attention grabbing in flower.
June 1, 2014

I have so very many photos of this doublefile viburnum in bloom -- I can't get enough of the showy flowery mass that goes on for a long time in May and June.
May 25, 2014

July 10, 2014

Fall color in 2014 was much redder and a little more vibrant than other years.
October 25, 2014

The small rooted cutting I got from Cyndy was moved a couple times in 2012, repositioning it in the Drive By Garden.

By 2013 'Mariesii' was putting on size, but like all the plants in my garden I have moved it around a bit, sometimes just a few feet to get the right placement for what will be a large shrub.

In 2014 there were finally a few shy blooms on 'Mariesii'

And there it was, visible in fall, with its dark rusty red foliage, contrasting nicely with the fiery red sumacs below. It has a long way to go to screen that side of the neighbor's house.
10/30/14

5/20/16