The Gardens

Hamamelis virginiana / Common Witch Hazel

Planted two in fall 2007.

I put them in the meadow.  Lost one, the other is coming along slowly.  From Forestfarm.   Needs a lot of moisture I think.  The remaining one started to put out growth, getting bigger (summer ‘08).  Haven’t seen any blooms yet.

Fall 2011 was the first year there was fall color.  It's a bright yellow beacon against the brown hill in mid November:
November 17, 2011

It is eye catching from the kitchen window, looking out into the meadow:
November 17, 2011

It should flower after leaf drop in fall.  Seed capsules become woody and explode open the next fall, popping seeds 30 feet.  This is the plant witch hazel astringent comes from.

I really don't notice this plant out in the meadow until fall. Then it glows yellow. I have not yet noticed any flowers in early winter when the leaves finally come down.
10/22/12

I still have not noticed any flowers in fall when this is supposed to bloom, even when I get up close and move the leaves aside. The leaves stay on for a long time.
11/1/13

It hasn't grown much or done anything in the past year, but it's still there, and it still has bright yellow foliage color in fall.

In 2014 I limbed up some maple branches that were crowding this witch hazel. It had been leaning out to get more sun, so I also staked it upright after opening the canopy above it. It's not really a plant I notice out in the meadow . . . .  until fall, that is.
11/3/14
Then, with all the November brown around it, it is a really bright spot seen in the distance. I never notice any flowers, though. It is supposed to open in late fall, but I have not seen any scrappy little blooms. The buds are there, but they don't seem to open.

I continued to stake it, awkwardly, in 2015. It's getting tall and leggy and leans to get away from all the shade on the back hill. Despite the lean and staking, it is doing well.

As always, a beacon in the brown scenery of the hill in late fall.
10/29/15


Propagation:
Softwood cuttings in Spring, plant in Fall, or semi-ripe cuttings in summer, overwinter in coldframe.  UConn says cuttings are difficult.  Layering if branches are flexible enough.